Tips for Mums to Help Make Your Life Easier with Two or More Kids
Having a baby is a huge momentous life-changing event. Having another one can be an even bigger adjustment.
How will you find the time to keep one entertained while you care for your newborn?
Don’t worry, we got you with some great activities for siblings.
There are a few things you can do to make life a little easier for yourself.
1. Get a baby carrier, pop bub in and you’ll be mobile enough to play with your toddler/ other kiddos.
2. Prepare. Get activities and things to do set up the night before. Have a few backup activities (tucked away into a cupboard) and have one ready to go first thing in the morning so your older kiddo has something to do while you have a bite to eat (fingers crossed)
3. Get them to help. I’ve heard of mums that have made a “change basket/tool kit” for the sibling to bring to you when you need “help”. Let’s face it, they love to help so they may as well be beneficial ?
4. Put the TV on. Let’s face it. It’s there and sometimes you’ll need it.
5. Explain to them if they’re old enough.
8. Arrange special one on one time with the older sibling. They’ll love and your heart will feel better for it.
9. Get help! Get a babysitter, arrange a play date, someone to take the older kiddo for an hour.
10.Go to a fenced park. Sit down and let them go wild. They’re safe and happy. Win Win.
11. Consider daycare- if you can, want or need it.
Keeping Toddler Busy with a Newborn – Be Prepared With Busy Bags
What’s a busy bag? It’s a pre prepared activity you can whip out to entertain your little one. I suggest having a few ready to go and tucked away so your little obe doesn’t get bored from seeing them every day. I rotate them and you’ll find their skills and level of understanding will increase each time you introduce them This is probably a good activity to do while pregnant rather than trying to brave the shops with two little people.
Mix And Match Colours Busy Bag
Grab a couple of colour swatches from your local hardware store. You’ll need duplicates of each swatch you want to match. Trim one swatch to size and use velco dots on the back. Little fingers can easily manage to move the colours and match them to the correct tones.
Letter Matching Board Busy Bag
A craft store will have foam board but you can also use stiff cardstock. I found these wooden letters in kmart and used a pain pen to draw around them on the board. I store the wooden letters in a little bag to avoid losing them.
Matching Games Busy Bag
Pinterest is your friend. There are so many free resources to choose from, I downloaded these and laminated them to make them sturdy.
Felt Washing Line Busy Bag
My little one loved “hanging out the washing” while I fed my new baby. She had a little basket I had filled with felt cut out clothes and pegs. She would arrange them carefully and remove them when they were “dry”
Colour Matching Peg Busy Bag
Back to the hardware store for this one. A super easy colour matching activity for little ones to be entertained with.
What you’ll need – Gather some resources
- Paint swatches
- Clothes Pegs
- Texters/Marker pens
- velcro dots (be careful with these as they’re potentially a choking hazard)
- Colouring pencils
- Bags -I use ziplock but you could use calico drawstring bags too.
- Laminator is handy but not essential
Make about 10-15 bags and use 2 or 3 each day, Rotate them so your kiddo won’t get tired of them.
Make them age-appropriate and safe for them to use. I suggest rounding corners when cutting laminated paper to take the sharp edge off. Keep them clean (no messy stuff), you have enough to do right now.
Mama, another baby is a big deal. Make it as easy as you can for yourself. You were never meant to do this alone. Gather your village and give them stuff to do- Janet x
Birthplace Online Store
Birthplace gathers and creates essentials for a calm and connected birth
The Original Birth Comb$24.00
or 4 payments of $6.00 with Afterpay
Pink Blossom Birthing Affirmations$35.00
or 4 payments of $8.75 with Afterpay
Oxytocin Pin |Doula Midwife Gift$20.00
or 4 payments of $5.00 with Afterpay
The Pink Blossom Glow Kit$45.00
or 4 payments of $11.25 with Afterpay
Umbilical Cord Ties | Birthplace$18.00
or 4 payments of $4.50 with Afterpay
Forever In Bloom – Memorial Print$25.00
or 4 payments of $6.25 with Afterpay
Aroma Birth Kit By Birthplace$50.00
or 4 payments of $12.50 with Afterpay
Mandala Pregnancy & Baby Wooden Milestones$48.00
or 4 payments of $12.00 with Afterpay
Yoga Ball Cover by Birthplace$76.00
or 4 payments of $19.00 with Afterpay
Cervical Dilation Birth Education Tool | Birthplace$54.00
or 4 payments of $13.50 with Afterpay
Purple Skies Birth Affirmation Download$12.00
or 4 payments of $3.00 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $9.50 with Afterpay