Essential Oils For Labour And Birth
8 clever and practical ways to include essential oils in your birth.
Essential oils can be really beneficial to the birthing process. They can enhance a positive experience, assist with pain relief, settle nerves and relax you. As well as creating a beautiful birth environment for your support team. Always discuss essential oil use with your care provider before use.
Here’s a list of ways you can support your labour and birth with essential oils
1. Drop oils directly onto a tissue or handkerchief for you to sniff and inhale when you need a pick me up.
2. Drop oils onto a pendant diffuser or lava bead bracelet to have a continuous aroma of comforting oils.
3. Use an electric diffuser, mix oils with water and diffuse into large areas- perfect for birth suites or home birthing.
5. Massage directly onto your skin in a suitable base oil.
6. In the shower- Drop a few drops of your favourite oil into the corner of the shower to inhale in the mist of the shower while you labour under the water. Be careful not to make the floor slippy while doing this.
7. On the way to hospital- drop a few drops of oils onto a wooden peg and clip to your AC vent to fill the car with amazing aromas.
8. Use a Car diffuser en route to the hospital to stay in the zone.
DIY Essential Oil Crafts For Birth | Birthplace
DIY Labour and Birth Room Spray
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 6 tablespoons filtered water
- 10-40 drops of essential oils (peppermint, jasmine, citrus, lavender, etc)
Mix into a glass spray bottle, shake before spritzing.
DIY Labour Shower Fizzers
Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl, add essential oils gradually until mixture resembles sand. Pack the mixture into your chosen silicon mould and allow up to 8 hrs to dry. Gently remove from mould and store in an airtight container.
Things To Consider When Using Essential Oils For Labour
- Essential oils can support and enhance labour and birth and while most essential oils are safe for use, always check with your health professionals.
- Your sense of smell will be heightened during labour so you may find your usual favourite oils are too strong.
- Always buy your essential oils from a reputable source and ensure the highest quality.
Plan Your Birth With Birthplace
Birthplace curates and creates positive birth and pregnancy essentials
The Original Birth Comb$24.00
or 4 payments of $6.00 with Afterpay
Pink Blossom Birthing Affirmations$35.00
or 4 payments of $8.75 with Afterpay
Oxytocin Pin |Doula Midwife Gift$20.00
or 4 payments of $5.00 with Afterpay
Umbilical Cord Ties | Birthplace$18.00
or 4 payments of $4.50 with Afterpay
The Pink Blossom Glow Kit$45.00
or 4 payments of $11.25 with Afterpay
Forever In Bloom – Memorial Print$25.00
or 4 payments of $6.25 with Afterpay
Aroma Birth Kit By Birthplace$50.00
or 4 payments of $12.50 with Afterpay
Battery Operated Tea Lights$7.00
or 4 payments of $1.75 with Afterpay
Mandala Pregnancy & Baby Wooden Milestones$48.00
or 4 payments of $12.00 with Afterpay
Yoga Ball Cover by Birthplace$76.00
or 4 payments of $19.00 with Afterpay
Cervical Dilation Birth Education Tool | Birthplace$54.00
or 4 payments of $13.50 with Afterpay
Purple Skies Birth Affirmation Download$12.00
or 4 payments of $3.00 with Afterpay